Thursday, October 17, 2013
The Rosters for 77th Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas were released Thursday, and it included one Aiken-area player. North Augusta High School offensive tackle Jake Whitley, who has committed to play college football at Georgia Tech, was tabbed to play for the South Carolina Sandlappers in the all-star game to be played at Gibbs Stadium in Spartanburg on Dec. 21.
“It’s pretty cool,” said Dan Pippin, North Augusta’s head coach who will serve as the offensive coordinator for South Carolina. “He deserves it, he’s one of the best players in the state. Coaching with him is a pretty big deal. It’s the premier all-star game in the Southeast.”
Pippin said Whitley was excited when he told him the news, but was quick to point out that his tackle was deserving of the honor of being included among the very best seniors in the Palmetto State. Pippin added that having a player familiar with his system was important in executing the offense.
Making the roster has added significance this season, since the team’s rosters were trimmed from 44 to 40 players. Pippin said that made assembling the South Carolina squad that much more difficult, but he’s looking forward to getting to coach Whitley one more time.
“I’m just happy to be a part of it and I know Jake is happy to be a part of it too.”
On Friday night Whitley suffered an injury in the first half in his team’s loss to Lexington. It is unknown as of press time the severity of the injury and what it could mean to his status for the Shrine Bowl.
Noah Feit is the sports editor for the Aiken Standard and has been a professional journalist for more than 14 years after graduating from Syracuse University.
• Joe Blue, rb, Dillon
• Blake Bone, wr, Woodruff
• Solomon Brown, lb, D.W. Daniel
• Daquan Casey, dl, Hemingway
• Ben Clark, ol, James F. Byrnes
• Zack Cooper, ol, Dorman
• Kevin Crosby, te, Bamberg-Ehrhardt
• Cam Darley, ath, Manning
• Shaq Davidson, wr, Gaffney
• Damu Ford, lb, Dillon.
• Keith Ford, dl, Bluffton
• Poona Ford, dl, Hilton Head
• Kendall Joseph, lb, Belton-Honea Path
• Nolan Kelleher, ol, Wando
• Caleb Kinlaw, rb, Goose Creek
• Issac Lewis, db, Hillcrest
• Chris Mackey, ol, Belton-Honea Path
• Tyrell Maxwell, db, Edisto
• Shaedon Meadors, wr, James F. Byrnes
• Christian Miller, lb, Spring Valley.
• Octavious Morgan, db, Greenwood
• Jae’lon Ogelesby, rb, D.W. Daniel
• Jacob Park, qb, Stratford
• Phillips Shykasheali, db, Hartsville
• Naquez Pringle, dl, Carvers Bay
• Dequan Reddick, dl, Hartsville
• Hunter Renfrow, ath, Socastee
• Messiah Rice, ol, Orangeburg-Wilkinson
• Kalen Ritchie, te, Goose Creek
• Zeke Rodney, dl, South Pointe.
• Mason Rudolph, qb, Northwestern
• Tyshun Samuel, wr, Chapman
• Corey Sargent, db, Northwestern
• Alex Spence, k-p, West Florence
• Donnell Stanley, ol, Latta
• Zeke Walker, db, Brookland-Cayce
• Raheem Ward, db, Marlboro County
• Jake Whitley, ol, North Augusta
• Dexter Wideman, dl, Saluda
• Malik Young, ol, Woodmont.
• Tommy Brown, Orangeburg-Wilkinson
• Dan Pippin, North Augusta
• Ken Cribb, Hemingway
• Jody Jenerette, Aynor
• Andy Palmer, Edisto
• Joe Watson, J.L. Mann
• Michael West, Spartanburg
Stephan Askew, lb, Mallard Creek
• Braxton Berrios, wr, Leesville Road
• Shaun Best, ol, New Bern
• Tyler Bray, rb, South Point
• Curtis Burston, wr, Middle Creek
• Cameron Burton, ol, A.C. Reynolds
• Josh Cabrera, wr, Northside
• Tobias Edge Campbell, dl, Hoke County
• Cayson Collins, lb, Berry Academy
• Nathan Dalton, ol, East Henderson.
• Robert Dinkins, dl, Olympic
• Lorenzo Featherston, lb, W.H. Page
• Lamont Galliard, dl, Pine Forest
• Dominique Heath, wr, Hopewell
• Elijah Hood, rb, Charlotte Catholic
• Freeman Jones, p-k, Bunn
• Hasaan Klugh, qb, Central Cabarrus
• Martin Isaac, rb, Cleveland
• Cameron Mattison, db, Mallard Creek
• Jalen McClendon, qb, West Mecklenburg.
• Nathan McConnell, ol, Jacksonville
• Jacob McCreary, ol, W.A. Hough
• Trip McNeil, ol, Davie County
• Trejon Monley, db, Scotland
• Emmanuel Moseley, db, James B. Dudley
• Will Richardson, ol, Bunn
• Jabril Robinson, dl, North Brunswick.
• Derrell Scott, rb, Havelock
• Bentley Spain, ol, Providence
• Isaac Stewart, lb, David W. Butler
• McQuon Stout, dl, Jesse Carson
• Kentavious Street, dl, J.H. Rose
• Jon Sugg, ol, Northwest Guilford
• Travion Thompson, wr, Hillside
• Maurice Trowell, wr, Southern Durham
• Shaun Wilson, db, West Mecklenburg
• Tre’Shun Wynn, db, Monroe.
Burton Cates, Lee County
• Darryl Brown, Southern Guilford
• Robert Cody, Plymouth
• Blair Hardin, Freedom
• Mark Little, West Columbus
• Randy Raper, Northern Nash
• Phil Tate, South Point
The North Augusta Star is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not The North Augusta Star.