I have to respond to Aiken Mayor Fred Cavanaugh’s comments in Wednesday’s Aiken Standard. The mayor said he, not like a group of residents of Aiken County who oppose spending millions of dollars on the Hitchcock Parkway, deals only with the “facts” in his zealous support of a four-lane monstrosity to save traveling time of some three minutes. The facts are:
1. There is little evidence of public support for Hitchcock Parkway.
2. There is no rational argument that this large expense is justified.
3. The mayor has made public no statement on the true need for a four-lane highway.
4. The mayor has not stated how this project will be paid for and the cost to taxpayers.
5. The S.C. Department of Transportation did not originate this project. It’s all political.